Phase I: Implementing Foundations for Improvement
DOMAIN 5: ADOPT A QUALITY IMPROVEMENT METHODOLOGY AND TOOLS
Develop and spread use of QI as core organizational improvement strategy.
July – Oct 2016
- HCO leaders ensure protected time/resources necessary for team members to conduct improvement activities.
- Train HCO teams in use of Model for Improvement methods and tools (including PDSAs)
- Support/coach Team to use PDSAs to improve workflows and care practices, including documenting testing with PDSA worksheet
Oct 2016 – Feb 2017
- Refine use of QI methods (including PDSAs) to test and implement practice improvements
- Teach/refine use of PDSA ramps to manage multiple changes
Feb – July 2017
- Train and support leaders (including team leaders) to use of QI methods for larger scale implementation and spread
- Develop and begin implementation of a spread plan within the clinic/site and to other HCO sites
Jul 2017 – Feb 2018
- HCO implements ongoing improvement structure and process to sustain and spread practice changes or apply improvement processes to new initiatives
- Mike Evans, MD, video on Model for Improvement
- Institute for Health Care Improvement (Note: you will need to register)
- Berwick, Donald, MD, The Moral Test IHI National Forum, (Dec. 2011)
- The Improvement Guide: A Practical Approach to Enhancing Organizational Performance by Gerald J. Langley, Ronald Moen, Kevin M. Nolan, Thomas W. Nolan, Clifford L. Norman, Lloyd P. Provost, Jossey-Bass Publishers; 2009
- Scoville R, Little K., Comparing Lean and Quality Improvement. IHI White Paper. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Institute for Healthcare Improvement; 2014.